Monday, May 24, 2010

There are no more bees...and it sickens me!

I'm not a doom and gloom guy when it comes to nature. I believe we can teach the kids and they'll know more and do more to help nature than we have done. And we've done 10 times what our parents did. That's a good thing.

But this weekend, I saw something that seemed to me a harbinger of bad things to come. Since I was little, I used to walk bare foot to my grandmothers house through the clover. I'd get a honey bee in the foot about once a summer, no matter how hard I tried. But now, they're all gone. All of the honey bees, bumblebees, black & white faced hornets are absent.

I don't think it's a weather cycle. Something isn't right. What happens to our natural world when something that blanketed the grass all day every day simply disappears? That's a massive link in the chain of nature and I really worry about it's repercussions elsewhere.

My father mentioned that honey bees aren't even native to the US. So what bee was? And what will play their part now that bees are gone?

No comments: